Sunday, March 7, 2010

Step by Step Plague


I scrapped the bear sketch and decided to work on a picture of a Utahraptor character of mine named Plague. Here, you can see that I did the start of the sketch with red mechanical pencil lead (.05) and then refined the lines with normal black lead as seen in the next image.



I eliminated the red sketch beneath the black with Photoshop CS3, then darkened and added a touch of sharpness to the linework to polish it up a bit. This is the first time I've used this method as far as linework goes.


In this image, I've laid down the basic flat colors of the character's design. He's fairly simple in terms of design in general, though I did change one aspect of it; his tongue used to be colored a splotchy green, but I opted to make it a more natural pinkish shade. It just gives Plague a little more realism, rather than designing him purely on the merits of artistic license.

Now I'm working on readjusting the colors and rendering/texturing everything to give Plague a more fleshed out, finished look. I'm still debating on what to do with the background. Stay tuned for the final stage!

0 comments: